Source: Yemen’s official news agency (Saba) 23/05 /2010
SANA'A, May 23 (Saba) – Yemen will continue the manhunt for Anwar al-Awlaki, a most wanted terrorist, until he is arrested or he surrenders, head of the National Security System has said.
We can't arrest someone based on just accusations but after the authorities found out the man was involved in terrorism, the search for him was expanded, Ali al-Anesi, who is also director of the Presidency Office, said.
He also affirmed that the war against al-Qaeda across the country is continuing directly and indirectly.
Moreover, al-Anesi pointed to the botched suicide attack that targeted the UK's ambassador to Yemen in late last month, saying the attack was a desperate attempt of al-Qaeda which has received devastating blows during terror operations in the south and north.
Some suspects involved in the attack were arrested and investigations are ongoing.
Yemen has not been and never will be a safe haven for terrorists, however, Yemen remains a strong and active ally in the war on terror, he said, adding that nothing can make Yemen swerve from fighting terrorism and extremism or can affect its relations with other countries.
Anwar al-Awlaki, who was born in New Mexico of Yemeni origin, is wanted by the U.S. following the failed attack on a U.S.-bound passenger jetliner on Christmas Day last year by Nigerian Omer Farouk Abdulmutallab.
Recently, the U.S. has said that the man was wanted dead or alive, but Yemen insists he is now a terrorist wanted by the national authorities. Foreign Minister Abu Bakr al-Qirbi has recently said that the man should be tried, once he is captured, in his homeland after he was found involved in terrorist activity