Source: Xinhua , 15/11/2010
Yemen-based al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) denied on Sunday that it would wage an attack against Muslim Hajj pilgrims at the Saudi holy city of Mecca, said a statement posted on Jihadist forums.
"Our Mujahideen's vanguard disavows any connection to those who may assault the Muslim holy Kaaba or Muslim Hajj pilgrims. Hajj is a key duty of Islam and we are not extremely keen to kill Muslims wherever they are. Mecca is more sacred than any other place," AQAP said in its statement to deny what it claimed "Saudi allegations".
The deny followed remarks last week by Saudi Interior Minister Prince Nayef bin Abdulaziz, in which he reportedly said his ministry cannot rule out any destructive action by al-Qaida against Muslim Hajj pilgrims and that the ministry is ready to foil it.
"Its desperate attempt to eliminate Mujahideen made them to fabricate lies, including the statement by the Saudi interior minister about the possibility of a subversive action by the Mujahideen against pilgrims," said the statement.
"It just seeks to tarnish the Mujahideen's image in front of the Muslim nations," it added.
In its statement, AQAP also accused Saudi government of "betraying the Muslim nation by cooperating with Americans and Jews."
Last week, AQAP claimed responsibility for the cargo bomb plot that mailed from Yemen to the U.S. two weeks ago, which spurred security scare across the Atlantic. Saudi intelligence apparatus played a key role in helping intercepting the parcel bombs.