Saudi Foreign Minister Saud al-Faisal said Tuesday that the wounded Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh is in "generally good health" and the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC)-brokered power-transition initiative "remains valid," Yemen's state-run Saba news agency reported.
"We will see the Yemeni president on the television very soon," al-Faisal said during a joint press conference with his British counterpart William Hague in Jeddah, according to Saba.
Saleh is receiving treatment in Riyadh for injuries and burns he sustained from a bomb attack on a mosque in his presidential compound in the capital Sanaa early last month.
"The GCC initiative remains valid... we are working to inquire about the stances of both sides (the Yemeni ruling party and the opposition). If they accept the last proposal, it would be announced," al-Faisal added.
Under the GCC initiative, Saleh would leave office within 30 days after signing the deal in exchange for immunity from prosecution, and a new government, to be formed by the opposition within seven days, should arrange the presidential and parliamentary elections in 60 days.
The initiative has been derailed by Saleh for three times since April over disputes with the
Meanwhile, Hague called for all Yemeni rivals to engage in orderly political dialogue based on the GCC initiative, reaffirming that his government "is supporting the economic development of Yemen, as well as the efforts on combating terrorism threats."
Yemen has faced unrest for six months as the protesters pressed for a swift power transition after the opposition vowed to prevent Saleh from returning. Presidential aides have said that Saleh intends to return and resume his duties until his presidential term expires in 2013.