Tuesday, 3 August 2010

Yemen suicide attack wounds eight

Source: AFP
03\08\2010

A suspected Al-Qaeda suicide bomber blew himself up on Tuesday near the security headquarters of south Yemen's Daleh province wounding eight, the defence ministry's news website reported.

"The suicide bomber who was on a motorbike wearing an explosive belt blew himself up near the entrance of the province's security headquarters causing his death" and wounding seven policemen and asoldier, 26sep.net quoted Daleh's deputy governor Abdullah al-Hadi as saying.
The operation "carries the fingerprints of Al-Qaeda," Hadi said, adding that "investigations are underway to reveal the identity of the attacker and those behind him."

The report tallied with earlier claims by a security official who also said the suicide attack bore the hallmarks of Al-Qaeda.

Another security official in Daleh said the body parts of the suicide bomber who carried out the attack had been recovered.

Yemen's separatist south, where many residents complain of insecurity and discrimination by the Sanaa government in the allocation of resources, is the site of frequent protests and periodic unrest.

Last week, a security official said four policemen were wounded when "separatist outlaw elements" launched a series of attacks on a police station in Daleh and on three military posts in the town's outskirts.

The town's security head, Major Ali Saleh al-Azraqi, was said to be among the wounded.
Southern Yemen has also become a regrouping ground for Al-Qaeda fighters.

The Sanaa government has intensified its operations against Al-Qaeda since the network's local affiliate claimed the attempted bombing of a US-bound airliner on Christmas Day last year.

The south was independent from 1967 until 1990 when it united with the north. Secession in 1994 sparked a short-lived conflict that ended when the south was overrun by northern troops

No comments:

Post a Comment