About 9000 people flee fighting in Shabwa
Four Al Qaeda men put on trial
Al Qaeda demands release of two its members in return of releasing an intelligence official
By Nasser Arrabyee/20/09/2010
The Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh and the Assistant to the American President for Counterterrorism and Homeland Security, John Brenna discussed Monday bilateral cooperation against the continuing threat of Al Qaeda in Yemen.
In a statement sent to local media, the US embassy in Sana’a said that Mr. Brennan conveyed the United States’ condolences to the Yemeni people for the loss of Yemeni security officers and citizens killed in recent Al Qaeda attacks.
Mr. Brennan delivered to President Saleh a letter from President Obama discussing these issues and reiterating the United States’ support for a unified, stable, democratic and prosperous Yemen.
The President’s letter stated “We are also committed to helping Yemen achieve a future that builds upon the extraordinary talents of its people and the richness of its history. Yemen possesses a deeply rooted culture, and is widely admired around the world for its ancient traditions, beautiful countryside, and hospitable people. I am convinced that the people of Yemen can do more than overcome the threats that they face – they can build a future of greater peace and opportunity for their children.”
Meanwhile, about 9000 people escaped from Al Huta area , Mayfa district of the southern province of Shabwa where fierce confrontations are going on between Al Qaeda fighters and Yemen security forces.
The governor of Shabwa Ali Hassan Al Ahmadi said that three Al Qaeda fighters and a soldier were killed on Sunday as the anti-terror forces tightened the noose on Al Qaeda some houses of Al Huta village.
Separately, four men including a German and Iraqi were put on trial on Monday for terror charges.
Ahmed Al Hassani, 31, Saddam Ahmed Al Raimi, 22, Rami Hence Herman (German) 16, Abdullah Mussad Al Rawi, (Iraqi) 16, were accused of participating in forming an armed gang to carry out terrorist acts against tourists and government and foreign interests in Yemen.
They were also accused of having training on weapons and forming secret cells and training on implementing suicide bombings in the eastern province Mareb.
In the first session held in the State Security Court Sana’a chaired by Judge Redwan Al Namer, the defendant Saddam Al Raimi admitted that he trained Othamn Al Selwi, the suicide bomber who targeted the convoy of the British ambassador in Sana’a earlier this year.
One of the defendants, Al Hassani, admitted the charges and other three denied the charges, but they said they went to Mareb and they were affected by Jihad movies.
To this end, Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) claimed responsibility on Monday for kidnapping the deputy director of intelligence in Sa’ada province, colonel Ali Mohammed Al Hussam.
In an internet statement attributed to AQAP, Al Qaeda demanded the release of two of their fighters in return for the release of Al Hussam.
Colonel Al Hussam was kidnapped nearby his house in Sa’ada on August 26th, 2010.
AQAP gave a 48 hour time for the government to release Hassan Al Tais and Mashhoor Al Ahdal.
Then, the statement said, they would release the “spy Al Hussam who has been spying against Muslims for 20 years.”