Thursday, 3 June 2010

30 Yemenis to be released from Guantanamo

By Nasser Arrabyee/03/06/2010

A total of 30 of the Yemenis being held in the Guantanamo bay have received approval to be transferred from the detention to their home country or somewhere else, said an American lawyer Thursday.

"According to a task force report, they might be transferred to their country, Yemen, if the security environment improved," said the lawyer, David Remes, who offer legal assistance for about 16 Yemeni detainees.

The American authorities have been concerned about releasing the Yemeni detainees after two Saudi ex-detainees were announced leaders in the Yemen-based Al Qaeda branch, known as Al Qaeda in Arabian Peninsula (AQAP).

Only five of the Yemenis still languishing in the detention, will be prosecuted in federal courts or in military tribunals, said the lawyer.

" 26 of the Yemeni detainees will be indefinitely detained," Mr Remes told Yemen Observer over phone from Washington.

Of the 240 men remaining in the Guantanamo detention, only two dozens were leaders, operatives, facilitators involved in plots against United States, according to the Guantanamo Task Force report, which was issued last week.

36 men will prosecuted in federal courts or military tribunals.

48 men are too dangerous to be transferred but unable to be prosecuted, according to the report.

No comments:

Post a Comment