Source: Reuters, 27/06/2010By Mohammed Mukhashaf and Mohammed Ghobari
ADEN (Reuters) - Security forces in Yemen's port of Aden have arrested 30 people during a two day hunt for suspected al Qaeda operatives behind an attack on an intelligence building, a security official and the Defence Ministry said.
Operations would continue after security forces swept door-to-door through Aden's Saada area on Friday seeking out suspected militants, the Defence Ministry said in a statement.
Yemen has accused al Qaeda of the attack last Saturday in which militants in military uniform raided the police intelligence building, killing seven security officers, three women and a 7-year-old boy, and freeing several detainees.
The security official said clashes had broken out before dawn on Friday. Police rounded up 30 suspects throughout the day, nine of whom were charged with al Qaeda links, while the rest were charged with participating in rioting.
One detainee died. Security officials said the man died from an asthma attack, while opposition website Sahwa Net said he died from wounds after being tortured.
The Defence Ministry said security forces had received information from a previously-detained al Qaeda operative, Ghodel Mohammed Saleh Naji, that those responsible for last week's attack would be holding a Friday meeting.
All participants in the meeting were held, the Defence Ministry statement said. Authorities said earlier they had arrested the head of the group behind the assault.
Yemen, neighbour to top oil exporter Saudi Arabia, has been a growing security concern for the West since the Yemen-based arm of al Qaeda claimed responsibility for an unsuccessful attempt to set off a bomb on board a U.S.-bound airliner in December.