A Yemen court said it will on Wednesday announce a verdict in the trial of two alleged Al-Qaeda members accused of being part of an armed gang that killed military and security officials.
Prosecutors, wrapping up the trial on Sunday, demanded death sentences for Mansour Saleh Salem Daleel, 18, and Mubarak Ali Hadi al-Shabwani, 23, who were arrested on December 11 in eastern Marib province.
The two defendants are being tried by a Sanaa court that specialises in terrorism cases.
They are accused of "participating in an armed gang which carried out criminal actions against military and security officials and members of the armed forces," according to the list of charges.
"The defendants used arms to resist men of the public authority who were responsible for ...
arresting them in Al-Shabwan in Marib province, killing two soldiers and a civilian and wounding five other soldiers," the prosecutor said in a previous hearing on June 15.
The two men were also accused of killing three officials along with their two companions while they were driving in a vehicle on November 3 in the southern province of Hadramut.
In addition, the prosecution alleges they killed one soldier when they attacked a Yemeni army truck carrying weapons and ammunition in July last year.
The defendants have denied all charges.
Yemen, the ancestral land of Al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden, has witnessed a number of attacks in past months claimed by Al-Qaeda on foreign missions, tourist sites and oil installations.
In October 2000, Al-Qaeda militants on a small explosives-packed boat blew a hole in an American warship, the USS Cole, in the southern port of Aden, killing 17 US sailors